Monday 25 April 2011

Delirious by Martin Smith and Meet Mrs Smith by Anna Smith

Esther and I bought these two books as some 'His and Hers' reading for our holiday last week. They're both very easy to read and entertaining. I was really interested to read Martin Smith's book, as Delirious were a huge influence on me with their songs and the way they led worship, I really felt I was a part of the 'people movement' that he talks about in the book. Phrases like 'history makers' and 'revival generation' took me back to the mid 90s, all the excitement and expectation and creativity of that time is described here.

It made me long for that time again in some ways. As Martin says 'I think we have lost some of the power of those days... we've lost the ability to push aside the songs and replace them with twenty-five minutes of crying out, opening our hearts and heads with the raw worship of God who's within us'. This is so true in my experience, and I would love to know how we can experience that again!

I loved reading about the stories behind the songs, and his description of the transition from worship band to rock band with singles in the charts, and how many of their following (including me) didn't quite understand it at the time.

Anna Smith's book is very amusing and passionate, and it's great to read the story from the point of view of those who were often left at home while the band travelled the world, and see the highs and lows of their experience.

The books took me about 3 hours each to read - ideal holiday reading - entertaining, challenging and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment